An Open Letter to Robert Kraft


Dear Mr. Kraft,

Thank you, first of all, for buying the New England Patriots football franchise. I had just begun to find them interesting as an AFC favorite in company with my beloved Dallas Cowboys when you bought the team; I thought your choice of Pete Carroll as coach was inspired and became an equally diehard fan of the Patriots during his tenure. I was lucky, I suppose, that my old favorite dynasty peaked and fell back just as my new favorite dynasty began its rise because I didn’t have to wait too long between Super Bowls that truly meant something to me.

The only way Super Bowl LI could have been better is if it had been a matchup between Dallas and New England, in my opinion. I wouldn’t have cared which team came roaring back from a 25 point deficit to win the first overtime game in Super Bowl history. I’d be writing nearly the same letter to Jerry Jones as I am to you in that alternate universe. The difference would come because Mr. Jones does not appear to be quite as close a personal friend to President Trump as you do. I understand that people can behave differently in different circumstances and I am pleased to know that Mr. Trump showed great compassion for you following Mrs. Kraft’s death. This is a reminder for all of us that human beings are complex and capable of great ranges of care and affection.

I’m asking you, as a fan of the team, to quietly advise your friend Mr. Trump to end the tradition of inviting championship teams to the White House. Since 2002, the practice has become more and more politicized regardless of the occupant of the office of President and it would have been better for the tradition to end sooner. That politicization has reached its zenith this year, making the tradition more fraught than ever with symbolism to people across the political spectrum.

It is one thing for members of a team to express differing political opinions. Families do that all the time and part of being a mature adult is navigating those differences without casting aspersions on the character of those with whom one disagrees. It is another thing entirely to be asked to meet with the person one finds to be the epitome of all that one’s political beliefs stand against. I understand that players can opt out of the honor, but when I put myself in the shoes of the players who have earned the honor of a White House visit, my heart aches for those who feel it necessary not to attend out of personal moral and ethical duty. I think many of them recognize that if they attend, doing so could demonstrate to others that they endorse or promote ideals and practices that are harmful to people they know and love. I wonder what it might do to team dynamics when those who choose to go must work with those who see that attendance as acquiescence to an agenda that many of us experience as racist, sexist, homophobic, and xenophobic.

For now, this only affects the Patriots. Later this year, the invitation will likely be extended to the NBA champions (possibly even the Celtics), the NHL Stanley Cup champions (probably not the Bruins, realistically), and to the MLB World Series champions (please, oh please, let it be the Red Sox). Several NCAA teams and, if the American champion wins the Little League World Series, they, too, could receive invitations. Imagine how families of children will have to wrestle with this, especially families with one or more children who have disabilities, given the disdain on display during the campaign. Please use your influence to stop this, both for those who see value in the current agenda and those who cannot. There is a chance that Mr. Trump will listen to you.

With great respect, admiration, and hope,
Ruth Shaver

Die-hard fan with a conscience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Necessity of Symbolic Acts

The Infrequent Opportunity I Couldn't Pass Up

Reflections on the Fallacy of Either/Or Thinking